US Senate confirms Turkish-American Dr. Oz to lead Medicare, Medicaid Services

The U.S. Senate confirmed Dr. Mehmet Oz as administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) on Thursday with a 53-45 vote.
The confirmation places the former television personality and heart surgeon in charge of health care coverage for more than 160 million Americans. Earlier in the day, a procedural vote to advance his nomination passed along party lines with a 50-45 vote in favor.
Dr. Oz, 64, a Turkish-American, faced intense questioning from senators last month during his confirmation hearing, where they challenged him on potential cuts to Medicaid and Medicare.

Dr. Oz vows to tackle fraud, waste and abuse in CMS
In outlining his priorities for CMS, Oz vowed to tackle fraud, waste, and abuse within Medicare and Medicaid.
“This will stop unscrupulous people from stealing from vulnerable Americans and extend the life of the Medicare trust fund,” he said. “I ask your permission to start sprinting after these goals, so together, we can provide access to better care, deliver better outcomes, and make America healthy again.”
Oz also warned that the public health crisis in the U.S. poses a national security threat.
“It adds to the national debt that is defeating us from within, crowding out other essential services, and we are, in addition, witnessing fellow Americans suffering needlessly, which I believe is a moral failing,” Oz said.