Skip to content

Hungary begins ICC withdrawal process as Netanyahu arrives

photo shows Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu leave at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks in Budapest Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu leave at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks in Budapest, Hungary on April 3, 2025. (AFP Photo)
By Agence France-Presse
Apr 3, 2025 9:45 PM

Hungary announced Thursday it will withdraw from the International Criminal Court (ICC), a decision that coincided with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s arrival in Budapest for his first European visit since 2023.

The announcement comes months after the ICC issued an arrest warrant for Netanyahu on charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Gaza — allegations he strongly denies.

During a joint press conference, Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban criticized the ICC as “no longer an impartial court” but a “political court,” saying this was demonstrated “most clearly by the decisions on Israel.”

Netanyahu praised Hungary’s decision to leave the tribunal as “bold and principled,” describing the ICC as a “corrupt organization.”

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a joint press conference with Hungary's Prime Minister (not in picture) following bilateral talks  in Budapest, Hungary
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu speaks during a joint press conference with Hungary’s Prime Minister (not in picture) following bilateral talks in Budapest, Hungary on April 3, 2025. (AFP Photo)

According to Netanyahu’s office, the two leaders spoke with U.S. President Donald Trump about “Hungary’s decision to leave the International Criminal Court and the next steps that can be taken on this issue.”

ICC expresses “regret and concern” over Hungary’s planned exit

Hungary’s government submitted legislation to parliament Thursday to formalize its withdrawal, with voting expected in late May. If approved, Hungary would notify the United Nations, beginning a one-year withdrawal process.

The ICC, established in 2002 and based in The Hague, prosecutes individuals accused of grave international crimes when nations are unwilling or unable to do so themselves. The court expressed “regret and concern” over Hungary’s announcement, saying any departure undermined a “shared quest for justice.”

Despite being a signatory to the Rome Statute since 1999, Hungary claims it hasn’t promulgated the associated convention for constitutional reasons and therefore isn’t obligated to comply with ICC decisions.

Photo shows Hungary's Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu leave at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks in Budapest
Hungary’s Prime Minister Viktor Orban (L) and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu leave at the end of a press conference following bilateral talks in Budapest, Hungary on April 3, 2025. (AFP Photo)

The Palestinian Authority urged Hungary to fulfill what it called its duty to the ICC by “immediately handing Netanyahu over to bring him to justice.”

International strategic consultant Moshe Klughaft told AFP that Netanyahu’s visit aims to minimize the impact of the ICC’s decision. “His ultimate goal is to regain the ability to travel wherever he wants,” Klughaft said, noting the trip “goes hand in hand with U.S. sanctions against the ICC,” referring to punitive measures Trump imposed in February.

Only Burundi and the Philippines have previously withdrawn from the court, which relies on its 125 member states to execute arrest warrants.

Netanyahu is scheduled to remain in Hungary until Sunday as he also faces domestic challenges, including controversy over his government’s attempts to replace Israel’s domestic security chief and attorney general while expanding political control over judicial appointments.

Last Updated:  Apr 3, 2025 9:45 PM