European Union to ease sanctions on Syria, focusing on reconstruction efforts

The European Union announced plans to ease some sanctions on Syria, marking what German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock described Monday as a significant step forward for both Syrians and Europeans.
Speaking to reporters in Brussels, Baerbock confirmed that EU foreign ministers had begun the process of lifting certain sanctions. The move is intended to bolster Syria’s economy and facilitate reconstruction efforts in the wake of the Assad regime’s fall.
“Our decision today to ease these sanctions for the first time is good news for the people of Syria, but it is also good news for us Europeans,” Baerbock said. “Because we need reconstruction and also more security in our neighborhood.”
Despite this shift, Baerbock emphasized that sanctions targeting supporters of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad would remain firmly in place. “Sanctions against the murderous Assad clan and its henchmen remain in force,” she said. “Crimes must be solved; perpetrators must be held accountable.”
Türkiye’s advocacy for easing Syria sanctions
Foreign Minister Fidan had previously highlighted the need to ease sanctions on Syria, focusing on critical sectors essential for reconstruction and humanitarian aid. He has consistently advocated for expanding exemptions to these sanctions, emphasizing the importance of systematic and sustained efforts to rebuild the country

The EU’s sanctions were first imposed after Assad’s government launched a violent crackdown on anti-government protests in 2011, an event that spiraled into a prolonged civil war. These measures included restrictions on trade and commerce, a ban on Syrian crude oil imports, freezing Syrian government assets abroad, and export bans on specific equipment, goods, and technology.